Note: If packing them for lunches, make sure to let them cool completely before packing them up in your lunch box - this will help keep them from getting soggy.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla (omit if using vanilla flavored non-dairy milk)
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices of bread of choice, depending on allergens
- 4 Tablespoons of oil - Divided into 2 TB each
- Fillings - SunButter or nut-free spread of choice & jelly/jam of choice
- Optional: Powdered sugar for finishing
- In a blender, combine the banana, non-dairy milk, applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla, & salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour "batter" into a pie pan or cake pan/ dish.
- Slice bread vertically in half.* Spread SunButter thinly on the inside of each half slice, then one side with the jelly/jam. Sandwich halves together to form sandwich.
- Dip each sandwich half carefully into the "batter" mixture, thoroughly coating both sides of the sandwich. I let each side sit in it and really soak up.
- Using a non-stick pan or griddle, turn to medium-high heat and add 2 TB of oil (or butter, if you can have/ prefer).
- Fry sandwiches until golden brown on each side. About 3-4 minutes on each.
- Continue process until all sandwiches are made, adding more oil to pan as needed.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over top, serve, & enjoy!
*Note: You could leave sandwiches whole and slice after, if desired. I sliced in half beforehand to help with a more even cooking and to make them easier to flip/ handle.