I can assure you that we take allergenic food concerns seriously, and have instituted allergen control programs at each facility manufacturing Horizon products. While we take all reasonable precautions to prevent any contamination, select products are produced in an environment where other allergenic foods are present.
Our new Macaroni & Cheese is made in a facility that also processes tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish, soy and shellfish.
Our allergen control programs consist of several components, designed to comprehensively address allergenic food concerns at multiple points of production. Examples of this program include the following:
• Supplier control – each ingredient used in production goes through steps to ensure quality and purity.
• Cleaning procedures – validated procedures to ensure effective clean and rinse is accomplished after each production run.
• Allergen-free product testing – testing in-process and finished product at frequent intervals to ensure safety.
• Storage/warehouse – allergen status labeling and isolation of ingredients to ensure no cross-contamination occurs.
• Production scheduling - scheduling of product runs are done in a manner that ensures allergen-containing products are run only after non-allergen containing products, protecting the immediate subsequent product from contamination risk.
That being said, it is at your own comfort level whether you feel this product is safe for your allergens. Many of our readers are gluten free, but don't suffer from other intolerances or allergies, so I felt this was great to share for their family needs. Plus, the fella really enjoyed eating all the macaroni & cheese we made for this post! hehe
Growing up, I would frequently stay over at a friends house and have supper there. Her mother always made "Tuna Goo". I loved it. Requested it each time we went.
I don't know if it was just the change-up from the typical Macaroni & Cheese in a bowl or the added peas (which was one of my favorite things), but I loved it each time it was served.
It's so simple to make... Your favorite box of macaroni & cheese + 2-3 ounces of tuna, shredded with a fork + 1/3 cup of peas. (Salt & pepper, to taste.)
I had Little Miss help me prepare it by draining the peas and measuring out the 1/3 cup we needed.
She placed the peas and tuna into ramekins to make them easy for her to pour in the pot once the macaroni was ready.
We prepared the macaroni per the box directions, like you normally would.
I was so impressed with how creamy the Horizon Organic Gluten-Free Macaroni & White Cheddar Cheese was! It smelled delicious. Yum, yum!
That's when I had Little Miss add in the tuna and the peas she had measured out. Stir together and let cook for a few more minutes to let the peas and tuna heat up with the melty cheese.
She's such a cute lil' sous chef, isn't she? ;)
Serve and enjoy! It also makes a great lunch idea for the entire family. Send it to work or school packed in a thermos with yummy fruit & veggies sides.
If you're looking for even MORE quick dinner ideas, be sure to follow Horizon Organic's Mealtime Solutions Pinterest Board.
You can also stay up-to-date on new products and offerings by following them on Facebook or Twitter, as well.
What are some delicious ways you like to serve Macaroni & Cheese?
What's your favorite quick-fix dinner option for an easy Mealtime Solution?