SunButter & Chocolate Cake Pops
Gluten & Top 8 Allergy Free
Yields: 24 Cake Pops
- 2 Cups of Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 4 Tablespoons of Melted Vegan Spread (or Butter)
- 1 Flax Egg (or 1 Large Egg)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of Sunflower Seed Spread (or preferred alternative)
- 1-1/4 cup of Allergy Free Chocolate Chips
- If using a flax (or chia) egg, prepare by mixing 1 TB of ground flax with 3 TB of warm water. Stir and set aside, until it reaches a gel-like consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 if using a dark pan). Spray cake pan (8-9" round) with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix the first five ingredients - cake mix, melted spread, flax egg (after it reaches consistency), vanilla, and water.
- Once you've formed your batter, pour into the cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes clean).
- Remove from oven and let cool, completely. This is important it cool complete. You can cheat and stick it in the freezer - just sayin'.
- Once cake has completely cooled, in a small bowl, warm your Sunflower Seed Spread in the microwave for approximately 45 seconds. It will reach a smooth consistency when stirred.
- In a large bowl, take your cooled chocolate cake and tear that sucker apart! Yes, that's right. Destroy your cake by crumbling it up.
- Pour in the warmed Sunflower Seed Spread and combine by hand by mixing it into the crumbled cake mixtures. Yes, it's a messy job but someone has to do it! The kids will think it's fun! Just try to resist eating it all of your hands, hehe!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Begin rolling the cake mixture into balls approximately 1.5" in diameter, until mix is gone. It should yield 24 balls.
- Let cake balls chill in the freezer, on the parchment paper, for approximately 10-15 minutes to make sure they're "solid".
- Once chilled, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute and thirty seconds - stir & add 20 seconds if needs more time - should be nice and smooth when stirred.
- Dip your rolled cake balls into the melted chocolate and place back onto the parchment paper, one at a time until complete.
- You can opt to leave them this way or add a pop stick in each one immediately after rolling them into the chocolate.
- After all are coated, chill in the freezer until chocolate has hardened.
- Serve & enjoy! Store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, if they last that long.